“Americans who would speak the language of the heart do so with a rose.” – President Ronald Reagan
June is National Rose Month, which gives us an opportunity to praise this beautiful flower that delights us year-round. Roses have long stood for love and beauty – and have even symbolized opposites sides of civil wars. Whether the lavish garden variety or a romantic long stemmed bloom, the rose is a classic flower which helps us to celebrate the most special occasions in life. From birthdays to anniversaries to graduation ceremonies, nothing will set the mood for the occasion like a beautiful rose. And Ah Sam Florist is here to provide the traditional bouquets or custom arrangements you are are looking for.
To honor the rose this June, here are some facts about the flower that may surprise you!
* There are approximately 150 species of the genus Rosa in existence.
* Zambia, located in Southern Africa, is more than 80% covered in roses!
* Rose bushes can live for an extraordinarily long time. The Cathedral of Hildesheim in Germany boasts a rose
bush which is over 1,000 years old.
* The first person to breed roses in the United States was George Washington.
* There are over 4,000 songs which have been written about roses. · * Different colors of roses symbolize different feelings and sentiments – red is romantic passion, orange is
infatuation, pink is gratitude and adoration, and yellow is friendship.
* Although they are very popular, black roses are just an illusion. They are actually a very dark red.
* Roses have always been considered luxurious. In the middle ages, rose petals and rose oils were used in the
baths of the rich and royal.
During National Rose Month, send a bouquet of roses to someone special – whether for an event or simply to say “I love you”. Call Ah Sam Florist for delivery to San Mateo, San Francisco, Silicon Valley or the surrounding communities